Yikes, this year is going by fast!
When I am at home, Christine and I get up at sunrise and walk about three miles down the hill through our little town. Things are changing now, it's almost dark when we start at 5am. Last month at 5am, the sun had been up for at least thirty minutes. It seems like the shadows are longer now and the grass greener. Things smell different this time of year, all of the plants are mature and their fruit is becoming ripe. I took some apples down to our grand kids in the valley last week. It made me happy to see Davis slurping and chomping something we grew in our yard.
Every year, about the middle of August, I'll tell Christine, "It sure is starting to feel like autumn is near." She always shushes me and suggests summer can stay a little longer. She loves to swim and our local pool closes today. It is a sad day for her.
The kids feel the change too. Spencer started his senior year in high school on Monday of this week. Karen starts her last semester at Mesa Community College on this coming Tuesday. I'm happy they are learning and progressing in their lives. But a teeny little part of me doesn't want to see them leave our home.
We had a ton of fun this summer. I've never seen so much activity packed into two months. Spencer built a 17' boat from scratch - I think it is pretty cool. Our family has gone scuba diving several times in the mountains as well as Catalina California and Roatan Honduras. We have been to the mountains camping and picnicking several times. In addition, Christine and the kids planted and have raised new half acre lawn in the front of our lot. If that doesn't sell the house, nothing will.
I have a garden that reminds me of the plant from the Little Shop of Horrors. I planted the tomatoes too close together and now we have an impenetrable hedge of tomatoes. One of these mornings, I'm afraid the garden is going to demand, "Feed me Seymour, feed me now!" If I disappear you will know what happened.
Okay, I guess I'm a bit sad for summer's end. Oh well, life is good.
Friday, August 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Crazy that your last child is a senior. Where has the time gone? I bet the grass at the front of your house looks awesome. Pictures please! I am with Christine on Autumn. That is a bad word at my house. I dread Autumn. It means cold is coming, and gray skies and no sun.
You have had an amazing summer with lots of fun.
Post a Comment