Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ancestors in New York

Yesterday was a sort of renaissance for me, on our way from Pennsylvania we drove through Venice and Scipio New York where I can trace our oldest known ancestors that first came to the US.  They lived in these areas in the late 1700s and early 1800s.  The weather wasn't cooperating but we stopped by the cemetery in Scipio and trudged around in the rain anyway.  What an awesome experience!  I was looking for my fourth great direct line Grandfather but unfortunately couldn't find anyone by that name.  But the really cool thing was I recognized a surname, Taber, as familiar.  On a whim, I took pictures of the gravestones that caught my attention.


A day later, today, I checked my pedigree chart and found that another set of fourth great grandparents were also buried in Scipio.  Cross checking the names and death dates confirmed I had found my fourth great Grandfather and Grandmother  - Amaziah and Silence Taber.  Wow,quite a whim!


3 comments:

Ellen Rae said...

That is so cool that you found headstones of ancestors. Such great experiences!

Jann said...

That is awesome. Not the rain part, but finding your ancestor's grave sites. That is pretty darn cool.

Sandie Stoker Gilliland said...

The rain here in Scipio has been pretty consistent, sorry you had to deal with it while visitng. I am the Scipio Historian, and I am glad to hear you visited, and that you found some of your ancestors here. Scipio is one of the original Military Tract townships, created following the American Revolution.
There is quite a bit of Scipio history on my blog. I don't recall any Taber info specifically, but feel free to stop by from time to time at www.scipiocenterny.blogspot.com. And if you are ever in the area again, stop at the town offices and say hello!
Sandie Stoker Gilliland