Friday, September 25, 2009

Saint Louis Arch

Christine and I just got back from visiting the huge arch here in St. Louis. It is 620 feet tall and 620 feet wide. For those of you that don't know, I'm terribly afraid of heights. The lady that sold us tickets to go to the top asked us if we are claustrophobic or afraid of heights. I told her I was and then had to explain to her that I can control the height thing. She seemed doubtful but let us go up anyway. The elevators are really small capsules that you crawl into. The car is really tiny, hence her concern about fear of tight spaces. They jam up to five people in a space that is no larger than five feet in any direction.

As far as the height thing... I was ok. There was no sway in the building and I felt really safe up there. Maybe there is hope for me yet. I know you don't believe me so here is proof.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet trip! I am so jealous, I am glad you didnt get sick going up there. Here is his address.
PVT Baldon, Joshua # 112
C co. 2-47INF
Ft Benning, GA 31905

The Chambers said...

COOL! I had heard before that there was some type of trip to the top of that thing...I just never understood, but I guess there really is! FUN! I'm not afraid of heights, but when things start to move...it's a little scary, that's how I felt about the Space needle in Seattle.

Ellen Rae said...

I saw the arch when I went with Rich's family to pick him up from his mission. We didn't go up in it but I remember how high it was. How is the weather?

Chantz H. Davis said...

I like checking on your travel adventures although I have to admit I wouldn't want to do it! But it does look like fun. Sleeping in the car - not so much!
The SJ fam is coming up to dinner sunday dinner today. It's been a while since we have seen everyone. Wish you were coming too. I have a brother that lives in Kansas City in a big house all by himself. You should have called me and you could have stayed with him! Have fun the rest of your trip!

Steph said...

Hey - You're in my neck of the woods! Well, at least my family's. Enjoy!