Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Only two more days!

We leave on Friday to start my third sabbatical. Every seven years, my company awards each employee eight weeks paid leave in addition to our regular vacation. The theory is we work extremely hard and this is a good opportunity to decompress and relax. I'm ready!

Christine and I are going to start with a week in Hawaii where we plan to do a whole lot of nothing. Nothing other than scuba diving, tons of virgin pina coladas, and romantic walks on the beach. As soon as we get back we jump in the van and start driving where ever we feel like going, taking however long we want. We don't have any time lines, reservations, or obligations. We will visit family and friends along the way if it feels right at the time - maybe. Heh heh we can't make everybody happy. Our plan is to start with a short drive to Yosemite, up the pacific highway through the redwoods, through the pacific northwest and then up into Canada, down to Yellow Stone, across the United States, visit Mount Rushmore on the way, get wet at Niagara Falls, hop up into Nova Scotia, visit Prince Edward Island (we both are fans of Anne of Green Gables), down through Maine, hang out in Boston, and then meander home. Whew!

We just bought a new camera for the trip and took some pictures of Bryce Canyon last weekend.

We had a great time with Christine's family at their first couples only, no kids, reunion. Good times.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Okay Carol! I am totally jealous! I have always wanted to go to Prince Edward Island! In fact I just finished watching the movies about one week ago. I have to watch them at least once a year. Enjoy it for me and say hello to Anne!

Jann said...

What fun. Have a safe and happy trip, and if your meanderings take you in our neck of the woods, we would love to see you.

Diana @ The Rader's Digest said...

where in those plans to you plan to drop by Reno and see us??? :) Are you gonna say hi to Robert and sharma in Nova Scotia?

Ellen Rae said...

I am really going to miss you guys. But this sounds like the coolest thing ever. Take lots of pictures and blog them home if you get the chance.

Todd, Lara, Aubrey, and Graham said...

I am so jealous! You jerks.

Spence said...

Yup, we are going to blog along the way as much as possible. Of course if we are having too much fun - there goes the blog. :-) Sorry about Reno (been there, done that) and yes we will definitely look up Robert in Nova Scotia.

Steph said...

Have fun and we'll miss you!