Friday, October 9, 2009

The Blunderers


Once again we have proved we are country bumpkins.  Yesterday we were doing our usual thing and driving by whim when we drove into a town in New Hampshire called Hanover. Large red brick buildings greeted us on the outskirts of town starting with the Army Cold Research lab which was followed by the Dartmouth Medical School and then the rest of the college.  Dartmouth?  We had heard of Dartmouth all of our lives but hadn't a clue where it was located.  We do now.  Visiting Dartmouth brought back the same feelings I had when I attended the University of Arizona.  I love to learn, it is the spark that makes life interesting for me.

Our trip up Mount Washington didn't happen, bummer.  Christine and I waited in the Cog Railroad ticket line for over an hour and then found out the train would only go 3/4ths up the mountain due to high winds on the summit. We conferred for a few seconds and decided riding up and down without a chance to get out and walk around wasn't worth spending money for a ticket.  We have been on the cog railroad at Pikes Peak in Colorado so riding the train wasn't our objective.  There was snow and 90 MPH winds at the summit - that would have been fun.


We ended the day by visiting the Joseph Smith Memorial in Sharon Vermont where he was born.  It was very interesting learning about the early years of the prophet.  The grounds were beautiful.






Physical Sciences building at Dartmouth.

2 comments:

Jake said...

I can't get over those beautiful fall colors! I wish we had a some of that here in the valley. Keep up the blogging I love to see the U.S. through your eyes.
Miss you and love you!

Ellen Rae said...

I didn't know that Dartmouth was in New Hampshire either. You are really going to know some geography when you get home. Thanks for sharing. Sorry you had to stand in line for nothing. I wouldn't have gone up without getting out. I would love to see Joseph Smith's birthplace. How fun!