Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chicago and U-505

Riding the public transport system in Chicago is a bit different than any other city I've visited.  The documentation on the web was verbose but not clear enough.  Unlike Boston I couldn't find documentation of how the subway system over lays the commuter rail system.  I'm probably wrong but I just couldn't figure it out so we caught the train in and used a tourist hop on/hop off bus and a taxi to get around once we got to the city.  Either I was lazy, stupid, or the documentation stunk.  I prefer to believe the latter.


We absolutely had a blast and loved our time in Chicago.  It was cold, rainy, and windy at times.  So what?  Not much different than Saint Johns?  :-)  Really, Chicago rocks.  The city is very clean and progressive.  I'm impressed by the diversity of architecture.  Our tour guide should have been at the comedy club rather than working on a bus.  Even though I was freezing perched there on the top of the open bus, I had a great time.  My only regret is not being able to stay longer.


In the middle of the day we visited the Museum of Science and Industry to see the only World War II U-Boat captured by the US, U-505.  I've read everything I could about U-Boats over the past several years. Seeing U-505 was the bow on the Christmas gift.  I don't idolize them but I am extremely interested in that part of the war.  Someday I would like to go scuba diving on a U-Boat. 




Of course I had to touch it.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I am jealous... love you guys!

Sarah said...

I have always wanted to go to Chicago. I can't wait to hear about Jamaica. Hope you had a good flight.

Steph said...

Ah, you're so close! Hey - shoot me an email, OK?